Is Google watching you?
I’ve worried about this for a while until I read The Boomerang Effect. I now see the positive side of being on Google’s hit list. I need to help Google know me to help me help my clients in the big wide digital marketplace.
To be successful in business, no matter the size, Helpful Marketing is essential. In small businesses, it’s just one of the many activities which we need to manage to survive and succeed. And in today’s digitally connected world, we can just about manage the whole marketing campaign ourselves.
I’m feeling confident now that I’ve read Tim Reid’s The Boomerang Effect. Tim is the Big Marketing Small Business guru. I’ve come away with the keyword imprinted on my forehead - HELPFUL. Provide helpful quality content with the intent to help people, prospects and customers.
I’ve had an epiphany.
On reading my notes (which I take when reading) I realise that what I’ve been doing wrong on my website is advertising, rather than helping my visitors to my site with useful content.
And it’s The Big G, Google, that’s trying to find the most relevant and helpful information for its users. We are, who Google says we are!
Tim’s tips for us Small Business folk:
1. Nail your brand – leave an indelible imprint and create an emotional attachment with your tribe (your followers, customers).
2. Know who your best mates are – those who will buy from you (same again, followers, customers etc.)
3. Own the media – realise that you are a publisher, creator and distributor of relevant and valuable content and create new content every day.
4. Be on-line – It’s all about word of mouse – people are talking on-line, not off line!
5. Set your website up correctly - ensure each page has a solid definition (within the settings) i.e. What’s this page about – as Google will index every page of your website.
6. Know the answers to the questions your customers ask – make short videos, podcasts and blogs which answer these questions individually. It’s useful helpful content.
7. Consistency beats greatness – keep your content current and issue at the same time every day.
8. Make it easy to read and share a Blog – keep your Blog to 300 words (Yikes!), make it easy to consume and read and ensure you have sharing buttons on your page (key learning for me)
9. Video is King – people are too busy to read, so make it visual and Google will love you.
10. Then it’s Podcasts – once you’ve got the video sorted, create podcasts.
May 2017 is my Marketing Month – I’m committing to practise what Tim has recommended. I plan to even make a podcast by the end of the month.
Thanks to Joanne Marriott for sharing The Boomerang Effect – I hope it finds its way back to you!
I’m endeavouring to read 52 Business/Professional/Personal Development books in 52 weeks. Yep, that’s one a week. As I read each book, I’ll share my thoughts, learning and recommendations. If there is a book that you’ve been meaning to read, let me know and I’ll read it for us!